Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Now those watching their sugar intake can enjoy fruitcake at Christmas as well
- 3 cups raisins or 3 cups currants
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup prunes or 1 cup dried figs or 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix raisins, dates, shortening, hot water, salt, cinnamon, cloves and prunes.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Cool and add vanilla, flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Line pans with paper.
- Bake 350 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 and bake until tests come clear 25-30 minute more.
Great recipe! Tasted lovely. Although the raisins, dates, prunes, figs and dried apricots are certainly NOT suitable for a diabetic. They all have a very high sugar content. Just thought others should be aware of this.
Fantastic recipe! Made this for my father who is diabetic & was complaining of not having anything to take to work. So instead of making my usual no taste cookies, I made him a fruit cake. He loves it :) He has devoured he whole first cake already! Thankyou for posting :)
To whoever posted this - THANK YOU - this recipe will be being trialed this weekend. Report to follow