Recipe by Tisme
My husband is always looking for something different to eat on his night shifts. He loves his fruit cake, but me working full time, I find it difficult to get the time to make his fruit cake then I found this recipe on A.B.C. and make them for him every now and then for a change. I like to use mini muffin pans for these as it makes them go a little further.
Top Review by I'mPat
I made these in paper patty cake cases and got 23 muffins (which I estimated at 10.7g per muffin). Tasted while warm (when peeling the paper off it took a fair bit of muffin with it - scraped it off - too good to waste). Will freeze some and see how they heat up in the microwave when defrosted. DM says a big thank you for a yummy treat. Made for Make My Recipe - a game of tag - Everyone Welcome.
- 1 large soft mashed banana
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 peeled & grated apple
- 1 cup sultana
- mixed spice
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dates and water in saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until dates are soft.
- Stir in bicarbonate soda, mix in banana and margarine until fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix again. Add carrot, apple, sultanas and mixed spice. Mixing well until all combined.
- Add flour and milk until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin trays (I use mini muffin trays) bake for 20 minutes at 180c.