Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chicken strips in a tangy sauce with cashews and green onions are served over brown rice. 3/4 cup of chicken mixture and 1/2 cup brown rice= 1 serving.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cashews
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- Combine chicken strips, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a medium bowl; cover and chill 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cashews; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Remove from skillet; set aside. Add chicken mixture to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add water chestnuts and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes.
- Combine broth, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch; add to chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in oranges. Spoon chicken mixture over rice, and sprinkle with cashews. Serve immediately.
This gets the automatic 5 stars. DD liked this minus the waterchesnuts and mandarin oranges. DH and I liked it just the way the recipe is written. The cashews added a nice flavor, next time I think I'll add some more vegetables and I defiantely want to try this with shrimp.
I'm not sure how much better chicken can get than this ~ great tasting! I did add another 1/2 can of the oranges & liked that, too. The addition of the cashews really made it for me! [Might even try it next time with a few raisins!] Anyway, great recipe, & thanks much for posting it!
Excellent meal, solid directions... I had some trouble getting my meat to brown, but it was still awesome flavor.