Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the spring issue of "Diabetes and You". Exchanges for 1 inch slice: 1 starch, 1 fat.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon sweet-n-low sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cake flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sweet-n-low sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 15.
- 5 x 10.
- 5 inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray, line with parchment or waxed paper, and lightly spray paper with nonstick spray.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, continue to beat until stiff.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1 tsp sweet-n-low, and remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar until thick and lemon colored.
- Add water and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt into egg yolk mixture, mixing well.
- Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in center.
- Immediately invert cake onto paper towels that have been sprinkled with 1 tablespoon of cocoa.
- Remove waxed paper and, using the paper towels, roll into'jelly roll' shape.
- Completely cool rolled cake, seam side down.
- Mix coffee granules with hot water until completely dissolved.
- In bowl, mix all*FILLING* ingredients, including dissolved expresso, with a blender until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate filling until ready to use.
- ~~TOMAKE THE CREAM ROLL~~.
- Unroll cake after it is completely cooled and spread with filling.
- Roll cake back up without the towel.
- Use a strainer to sprinkle cake with confectioner's sugar.
- Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
This is a very easy recipe to prepare and so tasty. You'd never know it's sugar free! I must admit that I cheated on the filling and just added instant coffee granules to about 2 cups light cool whip-still good and very easy! Thanks for posting, TGirl!