Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
It's possible to get low fat eggnog but I have yet to see it in sugar free. I came up with these because I love the taste of eggnog.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking power, Splenda, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk Eggbeaters, milk, oil and rum.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry, stir just until mixed. Spoon batter evenly into 12 greased, 2 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- In a small container, combine Splenda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over tops of muffins. Bake in a 400F oven for 15-18 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
I thought these were, as my kids would say, asi-asi (which is so-so in Spanish). They had decent texture, but there was not nearly enough sweetness. I reduced the fat a bunch by filling a 1/2 cup measure with unsweetened applesauce and filling to the top with oil. I also used lowfat soy milk instead of skim. I thought that maybe the applesauce and the soy milk would add a little sweetness. I'd like to try some brown sugar splenda along with the plain splenda. This one has potential to be used in my family, but would need some tweaking to our taste. That said, I thank you a ton for posting. I am always looking for things like this to try!
These had a nice texture and flavor. A little more Splenda, maybe, as they were not quite sweet enough. I used oil, because I was out of butter. I think butter would have enhanced the flavors, so I will make sure I have some next time!