Recipe by Kitty_Pile_Up
My friend gave me this wonderful Diabetic Biscotti Recipe. Each serving: 2 cookies ½ starch choice ½ sugar choice 1 fats and oils choice, 13 g carbohydrates, 5 g total fat, 2 g. protein 1 g saturated fat,79 g sodium,1 g fiber and 101 cal. I just love these cookies !
Top Review by Outta Here
The flavor reminds me of Snickerdoodles! Very good and easy to make. My only mistake was not making the whole recipe. I only made half :) My store was out of hazelnuts, so I used toasted almonds, which worked fine. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, . 500ml
- 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute, . 125ml (granular low-calorie sweetener)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder, 7ml
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2ml
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, .. 1ml
- 1⁄3 cup soft margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, . 75ml
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, .. 50 ml
- 2 eggs, 2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, .. 5ml
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract, . 2ml
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, 50ml
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl combine flour, sweetener, baking powder nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl cream margarine and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs , vanilla and almond extracts. Stir in flour mixture and nuts. (Hands work well here).
- Divide dough in half. Shape into 2 logs 2 inches (5cm) wide and 12inches(30cm) long.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick coating. Bake bars at 325 degrees ( 160C) for about 25 minute or until golden brown. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut each bar (diagonally) into 21 slices about ½ inch (1cm) thick. Lay slices on baking sheet: return to 300F (150C) oven and bake 10 minutes more to dry. Remove to wire rack to cool completely before storing in airtight container.
- Kitchen tip:.
- Roast hazelnuts in a shallow pan in 350°F.
- (180C) oven for 10 minutes. Rub the warm nuts vigorously in a tea towel to remove the bitter skins.