I was looking for a recipe for my DH who adores his fruit cake. I found this on the A.B.C. and he loved it. Soaking time for the fruit is not included in the preparation time
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sieved pumpkin puree (no lumps)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk or 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Mix the sultanas, raisins, brandy and water, and then soak overnight.
- Mix seived pumpkin, eggs, apple concentrate and milk.
- Add the soaked fruit, nuts and spices, then sifted flour and bicarbonate of soda. Return bran left in sieve to flour mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm cake tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200C, then turn down the heat and bake at 180C until cooked through and browned. (approx. 1-1/4 hours).
- Using the apple concentrate gives the sweetness to this cake.