Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
It's a meal in a bowl. There are many versions of Gumbo, I'm sure that everyone has there own. I like this one that I found an site for diabetic's.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Place the chicken in a large soup pot with 1 cup of broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the additional broth, water, onion, garlic, salt (omit this if you need to reduce total sodium), pepper, bay leaf, sage, red pepper flakes, and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, and okra and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and flour and stir until the flour and oil are golden brown and bubbly, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup of the soup broth to the mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the mixture back to the soup pot and whisk until dissolved. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in the rice the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Very good! Thanks for sharing this, A! I am not diabetic, but it looked just right and it was, LOL! Made for ZWT9
Delicious! I added more okra than called for (just seems to go with gumbo!), and added some tabasco to add some heat. I guess I like a spicier gumbo. I took the flour off the heat when it was golden brown, and my "gravy" wasn't as dark as most gumbos, but the flavor was delicious. Perfect dinner tonight. I'll save this recipe to make again! Thanks for sharing. Made for Rookie tag.
Right nice gumbo, keeper! Seasoning was right on for our taste. I recommend making the brown rice earlier. This is like a fancy Chicken and Rice Soup. Not too spicy for aged MIL, that's a coup! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Annacia! Made for Photo Tag.