Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is a great recipe that I came up with for my Aunt who just found out the she was a diabetic. She was very sad when she found out about it, so I made her this cake to try and cheer her up. It worked. :)
Top Review by The Real Cake Baker
I made this for a customer and it looked o.k. I followed the recipe exactly. I was told that the cake is gummy in the middle. So my search continues. O.k. now I have gone to see the cake for myself and it was not gummy, but my customer did not like it.
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (114 g)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce (136 g)
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed (73 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (313 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded carrot (110 g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice
- 1⁄4 cup dark raisin (36 g)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, Gas Mark 6).
- Position the top rack in the center of the oven.
- Lightly coat a 9 inch (22. 5 cm) bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, yogurt, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- On a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to egg-applesauce mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Drain and reserve the juice from the pineapple.
- Stir the drained pineapple and raisins into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Slide a thin knife around the edges and center of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Invert onto a rack to cool.
- When ready to serve, transfer cake to a serving platter.