1/1 Photo of Diabetic Carrot Cake
1 hr 15 mins
This is a great recipe that I came up with for my Aunt who just found out the she was a diabetic. She was very sad when she found out about it, so I made her this cake to try and cheer her up. It worked. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (114 g)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (136 g)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed (73 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (313 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded carrot (110 g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/4 cup dark raisin (36 g)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, Gas Mark 6).
- 2Position the top rack in the center of the oven.
- 3Lightly coat a 9 inch (22. 5 cm) bundt pan with cooking spray.
- 4Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, yogurt, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- 6On a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 7Gradually add to egg-applesauce mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- 8Stir in the carrots.
- 9Drain and reserve the juice from the pineapple.
- 10Stir the drained pineapple and raisins into the cake batter.
- 11Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- 12Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 13Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- 14Slide a thin knife around the edges and center of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- 15Invert onto a rack to cool.
- 16When ready to serve, transfer cake to a serving platter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 113.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g