Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I like this recipe a lot. It is one of the most crispy bread and butter pickles I have ever made my husband likes them also and I will continue making this year by year.
- 4 cups cucumbers, sliced 1/8 in. thick
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 (1 g) packets Sugar Twin
- Combine cucumber, onion and garlic in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with pickling salt, cover with ice cubes and let stand at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain well.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard seed, celery seed and tumeric in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and add drained cucumber mixture; return to boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Discard garlic clove.
- Stir in sweetner and put in sterilized jars.
Hi DOTM, I love your diabetic Bread and Butter Pickles. I have been looking for a very good recipe for them for a very long time as my Husband and I are both diabetic we grow most of our veggies and I grow the pickleing cucumbers very small and very crisp. My friend tried your recipe last year with just the regular cukes. I loved them and they are so yummy I really do eat a lot of them as my girl friend gave me about 10 jars of them for Christmas. So I will try my luck with making them this year. Scotts Sassy Girl