Top Review by Debbwl
These tasted good. Not sure what went wrong but the dough was thin and hard to shape. Like the privies review will add just a smidgen more Splenda as a matter of personal taste. Thanks for the post.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, plus more for sprinkling tops if desired
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, rounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, scant
- 4 tablespoons heart helthy margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon egg white (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust rack to center of oven, and heat to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut in margarine until the largest pieces are the size of small peas.
- Stir in blueberries and zest.
- Using a fork, whisk together milk and egg in a liquid measuring cup.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in cream mixture.
- Stir lightly with fork just until dough in lightly mixed, a small amount of dry flour remaining is fine.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and press/pat into an 8-10 circle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges.
- Transfer to baking sheet lightly sprayed with Pam.
- Brush tops with some egg white and sprinkle with Splenda if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer scones from baking sheet to wire racks to cool.