Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, plus more for sprinkling tops if desired
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, rounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, scant
- 4 tablespoons heart helthy margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon egg white (optional)
- Adjust rack to center of oven, and heat to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut in margarine until the largest pieces are the size of small peas.
- Stir in blueberries and zest.
- Using a fork, whisk together milk and egg in a liquid measuring cup.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in cream mixture.
- Stir lightly with fork just until dough in lightly mixed, a small amount of dry flour remaining is fine.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and press/pat into an 8-10 circle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into eight wedges.
- Transfer to baking sheet lightly sprayed with Pam.
- Brush tops with some egg white and sprinkle with Splenda if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer scones from baking sheet to wire racks to cool.
These tasted good. Not sure what went wrong but the dough was thin and hard to shape. Like the privies review will add just a smidgen more Splenda as a matter of personal taste. Thanks for the post.
These were excellent, next time i will add some more splenda but then i like a bit more sweetness to everything :) great late night snack and breakfast