1/1 Photo of Diabetic Beef Stew
1 hr 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This is posted in response to a request for a stew that was low in fat, low in high-glycemic carbohydrates, and high in fibre. I think this fits the bill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions
- 4 stalks celery or 1 small celery root, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean stewing beef or 1 lb lean stewing lamb
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 cups water or 3 cups fat-free broth
- 1/4 cup barley
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 cups peeled diced rutabagas (yellow turnip)
- 1 cup peeled diced turnip (optional)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cleaned button mushroom
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1Peel and chop the onions coarsely.
- 2Chop the celery coarsely as well.
- 3Peel and mince the garlic.
- 4Saute the onions and celery until softened in the oil; remove them to a large stew pot.
- 5Add the beef or lamb to the frying pan and cook until browned, stir in the garlic; then add the meat to the onions and celery.
- 6Add the water or broth, the barley and the bay leaves to the stew pot.
- 7Peel and chop all the remaining vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- 8Add them to the stew in the order given, then add the tomatoes and the spices.
- 9Simmer the stew until the meat is done and the vegetables and barley are tender.
- 10Add a little more water if needed.
- 11This can be made ahead; stew keeps and reheats well.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.7
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 468.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 29.8 g