Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love apples, Gala and Granny Smith are my two favorite. You can't catch them on sale very often and that's the only time I buy them. So, this pie is pretty special. It's also pretty special because it's a diabetic pie. The Splenda is interchangeable with sugar if you are making it for a sugar-tolerant person. To kick it up a notch (even for diabetics) drizzle with caramel sauce or serve a la mode! (NOTE TO MY DIABETIC FRIENDS: I'm still working on a sugar-free caramel ice cream topping.)
- Fit pie crust in to a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Trim and prepare edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and the cinnamon. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- To make topping, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apples (pie will be high).
- Slide pie into heavy brown paper bag, large enough to cover pie loosely. Fold end of bag over and fasten with paper clips. Bake in 425 degree oven for 1 hour. (Bag will not burn).
- Remove from oven, open bag with scissors, remove pie and cool on wire rack.