1/1 Photo of Diabetic Apple Pie
I have not made this Diabetic apple pie that was originally printed in the International Menu Diabetic Cookbook entitled Iablochnyi Pirog as a Russian apple pie. Food exchanges are: 1/2 bread and 1 1/2 fruit and 1 fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 0.59 ml salt
- 29.58 ml corn oil
- 29.58 ml ice cold water (may need more)
- 3 egg whites, divided
- 3 large apples (Granny Smith or similiar type)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml coriander
- 118.29 ml frozen apple juice
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 1Sift flour and salt together in large bowl.
- 2Stir in oil and water.
- 3Knead dough 3-4 times until moist and elastic.
- 4Roll into ball;cover;refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 5Place between 2 sheets of wax paper.
- 6Roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- 7Place in 8" pie plate.
- 8Trim edges and press with fork.
- 9Poke a few holes in empty pie shell.
- 10Brush with 1 egg white and bake for 5 minutes at 350-degrees F.
- 11Remove from oven.
- 12While crust is cooking start preparing apples.
- 13Peel, core, and slice apples.
- 14Drop apples slices into bowl of cold water with 1 TB lemon juice.
- 15Drain and dry before using.
- 16Mix apple slices with half of lemon rind, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, and apple juice concentrate.
- 17Turn into pie shell.
- 18Place in 350-degree oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- 19While pie is cooking, whip 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 20Add 1/2 tsp lemon rind and cream of tartar.
- 21Continue beating until thick.
- 22Remove pie from oven when done, pile merinque on top of it in decorative swirls, top with remaining lemon rind.
- 23Return to oven.
- 24Bake for 5-7 minutes longer or until merinque is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.0
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 59.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of