Recipe by ellie_
I have not made this Diabetic apple pie that was originally printed in the International Menu Diabetic Cookbook entitled Iablochnyi Pirog as a Russian apple pie. Food exchanges are: 1/2 bread and 1 1/2 fruit and 1 fat.
Top Review by lauralie41
I made this pie for my dad who is diabetic. With the merinque topping and whole wheat pie crust I thought it would be a nice change from the "regular" apple pie recipe. I am very sorry but this did not work well for us.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 0.59 ml salt
- 29.58 ml corn oil
- 29.58 ml ice cold water (may need more)
- 3 egg whites, divided
- 3 large apples (Granny Smith or similiar type)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml coriander
- 118.29 ml frozen apple juice
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and salt together in large bowl.
- Stir in oil and water.
- Knead dough 3-4 times until moist and elastic.
- Roll into ball;cover;refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place between 2 sheets of wax paper.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Place in 8" pie plate.
- Trim edges and press with fork.
- Poke a few holes in empty pie shell.
- Brush with 1 egg white and bake for 5 minutes at 350-degrees F.
- Remove from oven.
- While crust is cooking start preparing apples.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Drop apples slices into bowl of cold water with 1 TB lemon juice.
- Drain and dry before using.
- Mix apple slices with half of lemon rind, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, and apple juice concentrate.
- Turn into pie shell.
- Place in 350-degree oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- While pie is cooking, whip 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/2 tsp lemon rind and cream of tartar.
- Continue beating until thick.
- Remove pie from oven when done, pile merinque on top of it in decorative swirls, top with remaining lemon rind.
- Return to oven.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes longer or until merinque is golden brown.