Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great desert for our diabetic friends. This recipe came to me from my grandmother, who was a diet-controlled diabetic.
- 6 cups sliced and pared tart apples
- 4 (1 g) packetssweet 'n low artificial sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lowfat margarine
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- Mix sweetener, cornstarch, and cinammon.
- Pour over apples and mix well.
- Pour apple mixture into unbaked pie crust.
- Cut oleo into small pieces and put on top of apples.
- Cover with remaining crust and seal edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for an additional 30-40 minutes.
Apple pie doesn't come any better than this! I used prepared all shortening pie crusrs, Granny Smith apples and 1 full teaspoon of cinnamon. Used brown sugar substitute and only 3 tbsp The pie was enjoyed by all. Thanks Aric Ross for posting it!
I made this for my Dad who is now an offical diabetic. Prior to this is was diet controled. He loved this one! Thanks for posting it!
Fantastic apple pie!! Served at dessert by Bergy at a wonderful luncheon. I hardly ever make pie anymore so this was a real treat, especially for my DH, I have orders to make it!! It was lushious and loved the cinnamon, when I make it I will use Splenda which we prefer over artificial sweetener. Thanks for posting!!