Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Variation on Lemon Blackberry Muffins
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 78.07 ml skim milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 28.39 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 29.58 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml blackberry
- 56.69 g neufchatel cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray or butter a muffin tin (insides and tops to prevent the muffins from sticking with the puff up) and set aside.
- Zest a lemon, and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a measuring cup over a sieve to catch the seeds and pips.
- Pour milk into the measuring cup to make up a half cup.
- Stir sour cream into the measuring cup.
- Stir in the zest and vanilla, and then set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Splenda. Mix well.
- To the lemon and milk mixture, add the egg and whisk to combine.
- Next, add the cooled butter and mix well. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
- Do not over-mix - there may well be lumps but that’s alright.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling them halfway.
- Sprinkle a few berries in and then continue to fill the muffin tins to the top.
- Cut neufchatel into 9 squares, press each square into the top of each muffin.
- Top each muffin with a blackberry.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 25 minutes until the tops are springy.
- Cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.