Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm finally able to cook this fabulous Beijing dish at home! If you worry about those calories, feel free to use less oil, although the potatoes should be covered by it...
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly.
- Peel and dice potatoes to 1/2 inch length
- Core and roughly dice green peppers.
- Cut ends off egg plant. Cut lengthwise; dice roughly.
- Chop up the onion and garlic.
- Heat up oil in Wok on high.
- When oil is very hot, add potatoes and stir constantly until golden.
- More oil may be added throughout the cooking process at any time.
- Remove potatoes with slotted spoon.
- In same oil, fry peppers and egg plant together, stirring constantly, until egg plant starts turning a bit brown.
- Remove vegetables from oil.
- Fry the onion and garlic in just a little oil.
- When onion looks transparent, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the soy sauce, bouillon and sugar.
- Add corn starch diluted in a bit of cold water; stir.
- Add all vegetables back into the wok and simmer, stirring every now and then and allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Serve hot over rice.
Needs more "Zip". We added more soya sauce and chili powder.