Recipe by BradleySmith
A delicious Spinach, Brown Rice and Cottage Cheese Pie, as made at the Vipassana center in Pomona, QLD
- 5 (250 g) packets frozen spinach
- 4 cups brown rice
- 1 (500 g) packet phyllo pastry
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- cracked pepper (to taste)
- 2 (500 g) containers cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 loaf bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice the previous day. Cool.
- Thaw frozen Spinach and cook in a little butter for a few minutes with some pepper and salt.
- In a large bowl place pre-cooked rice, spinach, herbs and cheeses - spinach will cook in the oven. Season with soy sauce and cracked pepper. Mix all together. Only if mixture looks too dry add a little water. Cabbage, zucchini and carrot salad which is leftover can be added to the pie with spinach (blend salad first).
- Blend bread intobreadcrumbs. Grease tray well with oil. Press beadcrumbs firmly into trays. Bake base for 10 minutes in oven.
- Place spinach mixture into trays and cover with filo. Put about 6 sheets on at a time, buttering between these layers. Take filo pastry out of freezer only 1 hour before use. Melt a small bowl of butter in the microwave for this and use pastry brush. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook for 45 min-1hour and 180 degrees C, checking to see top doesn't burn. You may need to cover with aluminium foil if it does.