1/1 Photo of Dhal Puri
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
An interesting-looking flat bread from Taste of the Caribbean. Use these as you might use chapatis or naan or other small flat breads.
My Private Note
flat br ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons oil, plus extra for frying
- 1sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- 2add the water a little at a time, and knead gently till a soft dough forms.
- 3Continue kneading till supple, but do not overwork dough.
- 4add oil to the dough and continue to knead till it is completely smooth.
- 5put the dough in a plastic bag or wrap in clear film.
- 6place in a cool room or in the refrigerator and leave to reast for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if possible.
- 7to make the filling, put the split peas in a large pan, pour over water to cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes, till half cooked - they should be tender on the outside, but still firm in the middle.
- 8allow water to evaporate during cooking, till pan is almost dry, but add a little extra water to prevent burning if necessary.
- 9spread out the peas on a tray. When cool, grind to a paste, using a mortar and pestle or food processor. Mix with cumin and garlic.
- 10Divide the dough into about 15 balls, slightly flatten each ball, put about 1 T of the split pea mixture into the center and fold over the edges.
- 11dust a rolling pin and board with flour and roll out the dhal puri, taking care not to overstretch the dough, till they are 7 inches in diameter.
- 12heat a little oil in a frying pan. Cook dhal puri for 3 minutes on each side till light brown. Serve as soon as last one is cooked.
Nutritional Facts for Dhal Puri
Serving Size: 1 (1311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 427.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g