Recipe by JoyfulCook
A great lentil recipe, to accompany curries, a wonderful blend of spices that is a great addition as a side dish to any Indian Curry. Made by memory after having watched the cook make this many times when I was a child. Serves 4-6
- 8 ounces yellow lentils (channa dhal)
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils and pick out all the brown bits (as otherwise this will color the dahl a brown color).
- Wash; place in a medium saucepan and cover with water 3-4 inches above lentils. Simmer for 45 minutes (lentils should be very soft when cooked), skimming the foam off the top of the water occasionally. Top up with extra water, if necessary.
- Strain lentils, retaining the liquid. Blend lentils with some of the liquid in blender until smooth. Add more water if necessary--blend should be like a thick paste. Put to one side.
- Place oil in medium saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and cook stirring until the seeds start to pop. Immediately add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring until onions are soft. Add all the spices; stir and cook for another minute or two. Add the pureed lentils and stir well until fully mixed.
- This freezes extremely well. Serve with curry and rice as an accompaniment.