Recipe by MarieRynr
These sweet dough buns are often served with a traditional Clotted Cream tea. They are split and filled with the cream and homemade jam.
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1⁄2 pint milk, warmed to blood heat
- 1 lb strong white flour
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the yeast, the teaspoon of sugar and the warm milk. Leave in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes, until frothy.
- Rub the butter into the flour and stir in the 1 oz of sugar and the salt.
- Add the yeast liquid to the flour and mix to a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Leave covered in a warm place for about an hour until doubled in size.
- Knock back, knead again and divide into 16 pieces.
- Mould into neat bun shapes and place on floured baking sheets.
- Leave once again in a warm place until well risen.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425ºF or Mark 7 for approximately 15 minutes until pale golden in colour.
- Cool on a wire rack.