My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 4 cups fresh fruit, assorted such as raspberries, sliced strawberries, chopped peeled nectarines or 4 cups peaches, grapes or 4 cups cut-up peeled kiwi
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 recipe hot milk sponge cakes (Victorian Hot Milk Sponge Cake) or 1 one 10 3/4 oz. frozen loaf pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 cup peach brandy, amaretto, orange liqueur or 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1For Devonshire Cream:.
- 2In a small saucepan combine gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Heat and stir over medium heat till gelatin dissolves. Cool.
- 3In a chilled medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream, the 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-low speed till soft peaks form (tips curl). Dot not overbeat.
- 4Combine cooked gelatin mixture and sour cream; mix well. Fold the sour cream mixture into the whipped cream. Chill for 30 to 45 minutes or till mixture is thickened and will mound on a spoon.
- 5Meanwhile, for fruit filling, in a large mixing bowl combine the fresh fruit and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 6Cut the Hot Milk Sponge Cake or pound cake into 2x1/2 inch strips (smaller if using parfait glasses). In a 2 1/2 or 3 quart clear glass serving bowl, a souffle dish or individual parfait glasses arrange half of the cake strips on the bottom. Arrange half of the fruit on top the cake strips. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the brandy, liqueur or juice. Spoon half of the Devonshire cream on top. Repeat layers, piping or dolloping remaining Devonshire cream over top.
- 7Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- 9If using peaches or nectarines, dip slices in a mixture of 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to prevent discoloring.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Devonshire Cream Trifle or Parfait
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.7
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 112.0 mg
- Sodium 167.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 30.5 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: