Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These roughly shaped spicy scones look more like rock cakes than conventional scones and the chopped apple gives them a pleasant, moist texture.
- 8 ounces wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces soft brown sugar
- 2 medium sized cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 medium egg
- Set oven to 375*F or Mark 5.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter, stir in the sugar and apple and lastly stir in the egg.
- Mould into 10 or 12 small rough heaps (as you would for rock cakes) and place on a floured baking sheet.
- The mixture must not be too wet or the scones will lose their 'rocky' shape.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve split in half, with butter.
I made these yesterday as my boys are always hungry when they come home from school. I used white selfraising flour and for the apples i used a cup of apple sauce so they came out more like muffins. But lets just say they went down well as they only lasted a few mins and the kids can't wait for me to make some more. So thanks for a great kid pleaser im going to keep this one.