Kay Demonbren's Note:
This recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America's Baking At Home cookbook. It's one of the many, many items that went into the making of my daughter's first birthday cake. And ooooh weeee, was this ever chocolatey, especially since it was paired with Colette Peters' recipe for Chocolate Truffle Filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Coat 2 8-inch pans with cooking spray with flour in it.
- 3Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of mixer fitted with the whisk atttachment.
- 4On low speed add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- 5Add the butter and mix for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- 6Add the water and mix for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- 7Add the cocoa and mix for 2 to 3 minutes, until evenly mixed throughout.
- 8Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each ingredient addition.
- 9Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
- 10Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 11Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks.
- 12Cool completely before filling or icing; you may even wish to refrigerate the layers for a couple of hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Devil's Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2179.5
- Calories from Fat 737
- Total Fat 81.9 g
- Saturated Fat 46.2 g
- Cholesterol 500.2 mg
- Sodium 1289.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 334.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 176.0 g
- Protein 32.2 g