2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This showstopping cake is layered with dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate cream, then topped with marshmallowy peppermint frosting. To give the final product pastry-shop flair, set a pile of chocolate curls in the center. Or lean chocolate shards against each other, teepee style I saw a photo, a mighty beautiful one, of this cake and it was like I was mesmerized! We will use it for the Christmas Dinner that we have for the resident's and all of their family members. Bon Apetit Magazine, Cover Photo, December 2008.Recipe by pastry chef, Claudia Fleming, co-owner of The North Fork Table & Inn in New York.
My Private Note
4 LAYER ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups ice water
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 14 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate, finely chopped (such as Lindt or Perugina)
- 3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 1PREPARE CAKE:.
- 2Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F
- 3Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- 4Dust pans with flour; tap out excess.
- 5Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- 6Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended.
- 7Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Beat in yolk.
- 9Add cocoa and beat until well blended.
- 10Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with ice water in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating until just blended and smooth after each addition.
- 11Divide batter between prepared pans; smooth tops.
- 12Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- 13Cool cakes in pans on racks 15 minutes; invert cakes onto racks and cool completely.
- 14*(Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil; store at room temperature.)
- 15PREPARE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE:.
- 16Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan.
- 17Remove from heat; add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- 18Transfer to small bowl; chill until firm enough to spread, about 1 hour.
- 19**(Can be made 1 day ahead. Before using, let stand at room temperature until soft enough to spread, about 30 minutes.)
- 20PREPARE WHITE CHOCLATE CREAM:.
- 21Place white chocolate in large heatproof bowl.
- 22Bring 1 cup cream to simmer in saucepan.
- 23Pour hot cream over white chocolate.
- 24Let stand 1 minute; whisk until smooth; whisk in extract.
- 25Cover; chill until mixture thickens and is cold, at least 4 hours.
- 26***(Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill).
- 27Add 2 cups chilled cream to white chocolate cream and beat until smooth and peaks form.
- 28****(Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Rewhisk to thicken, if necessary, before using.)
- 29ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:.
- 30Using long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half.
- 31Place 1 cake layer on platter, cut side up.
- 32Spread 1/3 of dark chocolate ganache over cake.
- 33Spoon 2 cups white chocolate cream in dollops over cake; spread evenly to edges.
- 34Top with second cake layer, cut side down; spread 1/3 of ganache over, then 2 cups white chocolate cream.
- 35Repeat with third cake layer, cut side up, remaining ganache, and remaining cream.
- 36Cover with fourth cake layer, cut side down.
- 37Chill while preparing frosting.
- 38PREPARE PEPPERMINT FROSTING:.
- 39Combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, egg whites, and corn syrup in large bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer.
- 40Whisk by hand to blend well.
- 41Set bowl with mixture over saucepan of gently simmering water; whisk constantly with hand whisk until mixture resembles marshmallow creme and ribbons form when whisk is lifted, 8 to 9 minutes.
- 42Whisk in peppermint extract.
- 43Remove bowl from over water and attach bowl to heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- 44Beat on high speed until mixture is barely warm to touch and very thick, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 45Using offset spatula and working quickly, spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 46Sprinkle chocolate curls over top and sides.
- 47***** (DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill.).
- 48E N J O Y !
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Devil's Food Layer Cake With Peppermint Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (4322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12505.4
- Calories from Fat 6412
- Total Fat 712.5 g
- Saturated Fat 435.5 g
- Cholesterol 2792.7 mg
- Sodium 5861.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1500.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 44.7 g
- Sugars 1124.8 g
- Protein 130.9 g