Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
A light, chocolate colored cupcake that goes well with almost any kind of frosting.
Make and share this Devil's Food Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture and beat well.
- Thin the sour cream with the milk.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the butter-sugar-egg yolk-vanilla mixture, beating well after each addition. Batter will be stiff, so scrape the bowl sides often.
- In yet another bowl, whip the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill them 2/3rds full, using your spoon the level the tops. Bake and repeat as needed.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from pan when cool enough to do so and cool completely on wire racks. Frost and/or decorate as desired.