Recipe by Wineaux
I got these at a cookie swap a few years ago and these have been among the favorite cookies in my family ever since! I believe the recipe may have come from Southern Living. I use canned frosting, zapped a few seconds in the microwave to speed up prep time. A favorite chocolate frosting, made with simisweet chocolate bits, can also be used.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 20 large marshmallows, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shorteing in a large mixing bowl, gradually add sugar, beating until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa in a medium mixing bowl, add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended.
- Stir in flavorings, blending well. (dough will bwe stiff).
- Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for eight minutes.
- Place a marshmallow half on top of each cookie and bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks and spread chocolate frosting evenly over each cookie.
- Leave on wire racks to set.
- Frosting: melt semisweet chocolate morsels with butter and milk. add 2 cups sifted sugar, beating until well blended.
- Store in air-tight containers.