Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in an old TOH.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (7 ounce) packagemilk chocolate turtle candies, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 (16 ounce) can chocolate frosting
- additional milk chocolate turtle candies, broken (optional)
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Combine 1 cup candies and cocoa; fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add caramel topping; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining candies.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with chocolate frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of torte with cream mixture. Garnish with additional candies if desired. Refrigerate until serving.