Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 23 mins
My son's favorite cake. Tastes like an inside-out Hostess Cupcake. Follow directions carefully to avoid lumps.
- 1 (18 ounce) packageduncan hines devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use skim)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Bake Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake per package directions.
- While Cake is baking, mix milk and flour in sauce pan with wire whisk. Cook over medium high heat stirring with whisk constantly until it forms a thick paste. While this cools whip again to avoid lumps in about 5 minutes.
- Mix together softened butter & Crisco and beat with electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually and beat for another 4 minutes.
- Add cool milk and flour mixture gradually and beat for another 4 minutes. Add vanilla and almond extract at the end. This can be done to taste.