Recipe by KittyKitty
I love chocolate and orange together.This cake is really moist and yummy, because of the addition of sour cream.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, at room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- orange rind, strips for decoration
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 grated orange, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line two 9inch cake pans with waxed paper and grease. In a bowl, mix the cocoa and 3/4 cup boiling water until smooth. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until ight and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- When the cocoa mixture is lukewarm, stir into the butter mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking saoda and baking powder twice. Fold into the cocoa mixture in three batches, alternating with the sour cream.
- Pour into the pans. Bake until the cakes pull away from the pan 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes in pans, then remove from pans, cool on wire rack.
- Thinly slice the orange rind strips. Blanch in boiling water, 1 minute.
- For the frosting:
- Place all ingredients in top of a double boiler or bowl set hot water. With electric mixer, beat until mixture holds soft peaks. Remove from heat and beat until thick enough to spread.
- Sandwich the cake with frosting, then spread over the top and sides. Arrange rind on top.