Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
We had a large neighborhood "birthday" party and I helped make the cakes. This is the recipe we used for the cakes, there was one of these cakes on each table as the center piece. The frosting is unusual with brown sugar! It is very tasty. And sweet. It is a very easy cake to put together. The sides of the cake are not frosted. You can see each cake layer and the frosting layer from the outsides of cake. In the cakes we made, we put 3 or 4 wooden kabob skewers down the center to hold the cakes in place. This is not a necessary step, just one to insure no sliding!!! Keep in fridge. Cooking time is for baking the cakes, making frosting and putting cake together. Cakes need to cool before cutting.
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix, prepared as directed for 2 (9-inch)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- Whip cream in a chilled bowl. Beat until stiff peaks, being careful not to make butter!
- In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Leaving no streaks of the cream cheese mixture.
- Slice each cake round horizontally making 4 layers.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a cake stand, put 1/4 of frosting on bottom layer, spreading to the edges. It is ok to have it extend over the edges a bit to show on the outside.
- Place the 2nd layer of cake and apply the next 1/4 of frosting, pushing it out to edges. Repeat until all layers of cake are used. Spread the last 1/4 of frosting on top, making it look nice and swirly.
- If you would like more decoration on the top, take a block of chocolate or a Hershey bar and make chocolate shavings with a vegetable peeler. Sprinkle on top.
I loved this recipe! I used it for a birthday cake and everyone enjoyed the frosting especially. I did, however, have to improvise with the frosting by adding confecctioner sugarb/c there was no whipped cream and it turned out absolutly fine!~ Thank you for this recipe.