1 hr 5 mins
We had a large neighborhood "birthday" party and I helped make the cakes. This is the recipe we used for the cakes, there was one of these cakes on each table as the center piece. The frosting is unusual with brown sugar! It is very tasty. And sweet. It is a very easy cake to put together. The sides of the cake are not frosted. You can see each cake layer and the frosting layer from the outsides of cake. In the cakes we made, we put 3 or 4 wooden kabob skewers down the center to hold the cakes in place. This is not a necessary step, just one to insure no sliding!!! Keep in fridge. Cooking time is for baking the cakes, making frosting and putting cake together. Cakes need to cool before cutting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) package devil's food cake mix, prepared as directed for 2 (9-inch)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Whip cream in a chilled bowl. Beat until stiff peaks, being careful not to make butter!
- 2In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until combined.
- 3Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Leaving no streaks of the cream cheese mixture.
- 4Slice each cake round horizontally making 4 layers.
- 5Place the bottom layer of cake on a cake stand, put 1/4 of frosting on bottom layer, spreading to the edges. It is ok to have it extend over the edges a bit to show on the outside.
- 6Place the 2nd layer of cake and apply the next 1/4 of frosting, pushing it out to edges. Repeat until all layers of cake are used. Spread the last 1/4 of frosting on top, making it look nice and swirly.
- 7If you would like more decoration on the top, take a block of chocolate or a Hershey bar and make chocolate shavings with a vegetable peeler. Sprinkle on top.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...
Nutritional Facts for Devil's Food Cake With Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.3
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 125.4 mg
- Sodium 456.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g