Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Rich rum Chocolate cake! Check out my drunken cherries recipe and use the left over Rum for the soaking. And use the Cherries as a garnish. Check out my Creamy Chocolate Frosting!
- 473.18 ml sifted flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml vegetable shortening or 118.29 ml of softened butter
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 85.04 g chocolate, melted
- 85.04-170.09 g dark rum
- Mix flour, soda, salt and sugar into food processor.
- Pulse with metal blade; set aside.
- Cream shortening in mixer until soft.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and 3/4 cups milk.
- Mix till well blended.
- Add vanilla, eggs, and melted chocolate, and remaining milk.
- Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour into well greased and floured 2 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake in 350 degreeee oven for 30 minutes.
- Set on wire rack for 5 minutes then invert; poke holes with fork all over one side of cake and pour rum on both layers.
- Let rest for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Then frost with my Recipe #51345.
I made this in a 9 x 13 pan instead...just easier for me....used the rum from some drunken cherries (see other recipe from rita)....and her chocolate frosting...this was a HUGE hit - everybody loved it. Thanks for making me so popular yesterday. ;)
This cake is a keeper, my customers loved it. The next time I will use a different chocolate for a darker cake.