Top Review by vrvrvr
We enjoyed this cake very much. It's easy to toss together, with a good chocolate flavor coming through in the result. Moisture level was good, cakes came out of the pans flawlessly and held up perfectly under a robe of vanilla buttercream frosting. Great basic cake that went whoooosh! Gone!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour two 9x1 1/2 inch round baking pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan (s) aside.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aide.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a timebeating well after each.
- Add flour mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan (s) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool layer cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- Frost with desired frosting.