Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is by far the yummiest and easiest cake i have baked found in a FOOD mag (NZ) Great for chocolate cupcakes too - just adjust cooking time
- 175 g butter (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 3⁄4 caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 2 eggs (lightly beated)
- 250 g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup thickened cream
- 25 g butter (chopped)
- 300 ml cream (whipped, to serve)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (to decorate)
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar (to decorate)
- grease 2 deep, 24 cm round cake pans, line bases and sides with baking paper.
- combine butter, water, cocoa, sugar and baking soda in a LARGE saucepan. stir over a low heat until butter is melted. bring to a boil and simmer uncovered 2 minutes.
- remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
- whisk in flour.
- add sour cream and eggs and mix until well combined.
- divide mixture evenly between pans.
- cook cakes in moderate oven (180 c) for about 30 mins or until cooked.
- stand in pans for 5 mins then turn onto wire racks to cool.
- to make chocolate ganache combine chocolate, thickened cream and butter in a small pan.
- stir over a low heat until mixture is smooth.
- remove from heat and transfer to a bowl, refrigerate until mixture is a spreadable consistancy.
- spread ganache over top and sides of one cake, refrigerate until set.
- place un-iced cake on serving plate and top with whipped cream, placed iced cake on top of cream and dust with cocoa and icing sugar to decorate.