Recipe by angelfan
This is very moist, and takes on a bit of a red hue after cooling. You may use your favorite icing, the icing listed is my favorite, quick and tasty.
Top Review by monique.j.jimenez
I use 1/2 c. cold, STRONG, coffee instead of water, and instead of 1/2 c. cocoa I add 3/4 c. If you don't have buttermilk you can sub with 3/4 c. milk plus 2 t. lemon juice or vinegar that sits for 10 minutes before using. Make this with Sprinkles Vanilla Buttercream frosting and it is perfect for a birthday.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water, cocoa and baking soda, let stand while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs, add half the flour and half the milk beat well.
- Add the cocoa mixture and remaining flour and milk and vanilla.
- Bake in two greased and floured cake pans, at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Frost with icing:2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 to 3/4 cup milnot.
- Beat milnot canned milk into powdered sugar a little at a time until spreadable; add vanilla.