Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
I am a certified - card carrying CHOCOHALIC!! I saw this cake in a Gourmet magazine and had to make it! Once I did and others tried it, it became an often requested cake for get togethers. The taste of the cake gets deeper over time, so I suggest making it a day ahead of time. The Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting I make with this cake is the same way....better with time. This recipe makes GREAT cupcakes also...I've tried LOL!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Butter 3 (8-inch) round cake pans and line bottoms of each with rounds of wax or parchment paper. Butter paper and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- Whisk together boiling water and cocoa powder in a bowl until smooth, then whisk in milk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt in another bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, then add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in flour and cocoa mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture (batter may look curdled).
- Divide batter among pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of pans halfway through-baking, until tester comes out clean and layers begin to pull away from sides of pans, 20-25 minutes total.
- Cool layers in pans on racks 10 min, then invert onto racks, remove wax paper, and cool completely.
- Frost cake with favorite frosting and enjoy! We do :D.