Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This makes two 10-inch layers or one 14x2-inch round layer.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- Set oven rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- For two 10-inch round cake pans, 2 inches deep, butter bottom and sides.
- and line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper. Doing the.
- same for one 14-inch round cake pan.
- For the cake batter, sift the dry ingredients into a mixer bowl (flour,.
- sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda) and add the.
- butter. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed. Add half of the buttermilk and.
- continue mixing 5 minutes longer. Scrape bowl and beaters, Mix remaining.
- buttermilk with the eggs, and add a third of at a time to the batter,.
- stopping and scraping between each addition.
- Divide batter between prepared pans (for 10-inch pans), or put all of the.
- batter into the 14-inch pan bake for 30 minutes, until layers are well risen.
- and firm. The 14-inch pan will take a little longer start checking at 35.
- Place pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes, and then un mold onto the rack,.
- cool right side up on the rack.
- Let the cake sit for a day before you ice or frost.
- It freezes very well. Wrap in SARAN WRAP and then foil. To defrost: leave.
- in wrappings until defrosted, then unwrap. I generally will defrost.
- partially, then torte the cake and allow it to continue defrosting. It cuts better.
- STORAGE: Keep under a cake dome or well wrapped at room temperature, unless.
- you have a frosting that needs to be refrigerated.