Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is great to make for a bake sale or fund raising event.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup black coffee
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, cocoa, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add to the mixing bowl, then add the oil and coffee.
- Beat until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour batter into a greased and lined 23cm square tin.
- The batter will be thin.
- Bake at 180°C degrees for about 1 hour or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in tin 5 minutes before turning on to a cooling rack.
- When cold dust with icing sugar or ice with your favourite frosting.
I had never tried Devils Food cake so I wasn't sure how well this worked. It did take ages to cook and it was dense but I found it a little bland and not sweet enough for my tastes. Sorry.
This cake was so easy when I had a craving for chocolate, I just used ingrediants that were lying around the house already! Wonderful cake. Defidentally not dry, great texture.
great recipe, everyone should try it