Recipe by True Texas
I've been making this cake since 1972. In fact I made it for my youngest sister when she about 5, she's 40 this year! I dug the recipe out this year and made it for our grandchildren, hubby ate most of it though. You can always just use a cake mix and frosting to save time.
- 414.03 ml cake flour, sifted
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 314.66 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1064.65 ml white seven minute frosting
- 314.66 ml coconut
- 0.06 ml red food coloring
- green food coloring
- assorted large gumdrop
- red licorice, strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with soda, slat and sugar.
- Soften butter.
- Add flour; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add vanilla, eggs, chocolate, and 1/4 cup milk.
- Pour into 2 9-inch layer pans, lined with wax paper, (or greased and floured).
- Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and cool on racks.
- Cut one of the layer cakes in half round spade to make a bow tie and two ears.
- Frost entire cake. Tint 1/4 cup coconut with red food coloring. Sprinkle this coconut in the center of the ears.
- Use gumdrops for nose, eyes and polka dots on tie, and red licorice strips to make a mouth and whiskers.
- If desired, sprinkle additional coconut , tinted green, all around the bunny.