Recipe by True Texas
I've been making this cake since 1972. In fact I made it for my youngest sister when she about 5, she's 40 this year! I dug the recipe out this year and made it for our grandchildren, hubby ate most of it though. You can always just use a cake mix and frosting to save time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 4 1⁄2 cups white seven minute frosting
- 1 1⁄3 cups coconut
- 1 drop red food coloring
- green food coloring
- assorted large gumdrop
- red licorice, strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with soda, slat and sugar.
- Soften butter.
- Add flour; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add vanilla, eggs, chocolate, and 1/4 cup milk.
- Pour into 2 9-inch layer pans, lined with wax paper, (or greased and floured).
- Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and cool on racks.
- Cut one of the layer cakes in half round spade to make a bow tie and two ears.
- Frost entire cake. Tint 1/4 cup coconut with red food coloring. Sprinkle this coconut in the center of the ears.
- Use gumdrops for nose, eyes and polka dots on tie, and red licorice strips to make a mouth and whiskers.
- If desired, sprinkle additional coconut , tinted green, all around the bunny.