1/1 Photo of Devils Food 4 Layer Cake With Peppermint Frosting
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Flavor VIsion's Note:
The cake is layered with dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate cream, then topped with marshmallowy peppermint frosting. I found it in Bon Appetit Dec. 2008. This cake is heavenly!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups ice water
Dark chocolate ganache
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 14 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
White chocolate cream
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate, finely chopped (such as Lindt or Perugina)
- 3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 1For cake:
- 2Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Dust pans with flour; tap out excess. Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yolk. Add cocoa and beat until well blended. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with ice water in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating until just blended and smooth after each addition. Divide batter between prepared pans; smooth tops.
- 3Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks and cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil; store at room temperature.
- 4For dark chocolate ganache:.
- 5Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat; add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Transfer to small bowl. Chill until firm enough to spread, about 1 hour. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Before using, let stand at room temperature until soft enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
- 6For white chocolate cream:
- 7Place white chocolate in large heatproof bowl. Bring 1 cup cream to simmer in saucepan. Pour hot cream over white chocolate. Let stand 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Whisk in extract. Cover; chill until mixture thickens and is cold, at least 4 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.
- 8Add 2 cups chilled cream to white chocolate cream and beat until smooth and peaks form. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Rewhisk to thicken, if necessary, before using.
- 9Using long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place 1 cake layer on platter, cut side up. Spread 1/3 of dark chocolate ganache over cake. Spoon 2 cups white chocolate cream in dollops over cake; spread evenly to edges. Top with second cake layer, cut side down; spread 1/3 of ganache over, then 2 cups white chocolate cream. Repeat with third cake layer, cut side up, remaining ganache, and remaining cream. Cover with fourth cake layer, cut side down. Chill while preparing frosting.
- 10For peppermint frosting:
- 11Combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, egg whites, and corn syrup in large bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer. Whisk by hand to blend well. Set bowl with mixture over saucepan of gently simmering water; whisk constantly with hand whisk until mixture resembles marshmallow creme and ribbons form when whisk is lifted, 8 to 9 minutes. Whisk in peppermint extract. Remove bowl from over water and attach bowl to heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until mixture is barely warm to touch and very thick, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 12Using offset spatula and working quickly, spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate curls over top and sides. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...
Nutritional Facts for Devils Food 4 Layer Cake With Peppermint Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1563.1
- Calories from Fat 801
- Total Fat 89.0 g
- Saturated Fat 54.4 g
- Cholesterol 349.0 mg
- Sodium 732.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 187.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 140.6 g
- Protein 16.3 g