Recipe by Anu
This is from "Chocolate Delights" by Neelaxi Arora, an obscure little chocolate cookbook that my aunt bought me years ago. I modified this to make it slightly less sinful, but it's still pretty devilish! Absolutely worth it, though. Forget the calories, just this once...
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
Sorry, but I didn''t like this. I made this today, it sounded nice to me, thought of trying this for New Year today, but it didn''t turn out as expected. The coffee was a bit TOO MUCH in the cake, I think 1 1/2 tsps. should be good enough, 3 is bit too much in this. I liked the idea of red food colour in it. What I liked was the glossy tinge this cake had once baked, that was SOMETHING! But tastewise, its ok, not as I''d expected. I did the frosting with Chef Dorothy Parks frosting recipe for her cake
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 180 g butter
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
RICH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 60 g dark chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake; Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking dish, and dust it with flour.
- This is an excellent way to ensure that no part of the cake sticks to the dish when it is done.
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time to the creamy mixture and beat until fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, coffee and baking powder together.
- Mix the red food colouring and milk together.
- Combine all the mixtures in a large bowl and beat well till all the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the dish and allow it to cool.
- For the frosting; Mix the dark chocolate and the unsalted butter in a heat-proof bowl and stir over hot water till the chocolate dissolves into the butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Stir occasionally while cooling.
- Once the cake has cooled sufficiently, spread the chocolate frosting over the cake and allow it to set.