Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I looked for a long time for an acceptable substitute to Underwood's Devilled Ham, and this is really close! It's also called potted meat. I buy a smoked ham shank and use part of the ham for this. You will need to process this recipe in a pressure cooker used for canning. I use those small 1/4 pint jars - those little fancy jam/relish jars, but you could put in 1/2 pints too.
- Dissolve chicken cubes in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Add gelatin.
- Soak rice cereal in the 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Put Ham, rice cereal/Water, Chicken cubes/water and spices in blender or food processor.
- Process until it turns into a paste - it will be rather sloppy.
- Spoon into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Apply the lids and tighten the rings.
- Process either 1/2 or 1/4 pints for 50 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. If your altitude is over 2,000 feet, process at 15 pounds pressure. This recipe can be multiplied. If you use chicken instead of ham, you will have to add fat to the chicken or it will be too dry to eat!