Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 mins
Cook 40 mins
These little appetizers are an all time favorite of Texas hunters. Just know that they are very hot with the rub and the jalapenos, so eat with caution. Prep time includes marinating 24 hours.
- Coat the dove breasts with Lone Star Dry Rub.
- (Save rest of the bird for stock, if desired) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat grill to a cooking temperature of 200ºF to 220ºF.
- Slit the jalapeño on one side and remove seeds.
- Stuff a dove breast and a sliver or two of onion in each pepper.
- Wrap with a half piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
- Smoke about 30 to 40 minutes, until the bacon is crisp.
- Tendermouths should eat cautiously because these are firey hot.
- VARIATION: Substitue slices of chicken breast for the dove breast.
Opening day of dove season, my husband and his buddies all get together for a feed. Their recipe is VERY similar to this one. A couple years ago they cooked several hundred birds like this! Always fantastic and never a left over!
I prepare my dove breasts this way too, except I put a slice of pepper jack cheese in there as well. Thanks for posting.