Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I recieved this recipe from a great cook/co-worker years ago. It is one of my favorite stew recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 4 carrots, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- In a plastic bag, toss beef cubes with flour to coat, reserving the remaining flour.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef 1/3 at a time in hot oil.
- Return all meat to pan and remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups of water, mustard, salt, garlic, chili powder, worcestershire and pepper.
- Simmer covered for 1 to1 1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- For Gravy, remove meat and veggies, skim fat from liquid.
- If necessary, blend the 1/4 C water into the reserved flour until smooth.
- Slowly stir into hot liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper, return meat and veggies to the gravy mixture and heat through.