Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are spicy nuts, for those who prefer that to the sweeter nut mixes. Makes 6 8-ounce jars. I love spice so they suit me
- 2 lbs skinless almonds
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt, more if desired
- 1 teaspoon cayenne, more if desired
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 egg whites
- Combine Worcestershire sauce through to Tabasco in food processor until garlic is completely pureed. Add egg whites and pulse just to blend.
- Pour mixture over nuts in bowl and let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and reserve liquid. Spread on parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 300 degrees about 10 minutes, until slightly dry. Baste with reserved liquid, adding salt if desired. Continue to bake stirring occasionally, until dry and roasted, about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely and store airtight at room temperature.
I scaled this back to 1/2lb almonds (using 200g just under the half) and because the marinade mix was so little I used the mortar and pestle and then threw in the almonds to marinate for their 30 minutes but I had to take my oven (fan forced) back to 125 degree C (from the equivelent 150C/300F) and they only needed a final 15 minutes and they are deliciously spicy and oh so moorish (hard to stop at a few) and so much better than the commercial spicy nuts and work out cheaper to make my own. Thank you MarraMamba for a wonderful recipe. Made for Newest ZAAR Tag 08A.