Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Good Food Magazine, June 1986
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 4 large soft shelled crabs, cleaned (about 5-6 oz. each)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- grated lime zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- Mix flour, cornmeal, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, ground coriander, and salt in shallow bowl.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Coat crabs thoroughly with flour mixture and fry 2 at a time, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drip and serve hot with dipping sauce.
- To make dipping sauce, mix last 12 ingredients in small bowl.