Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A fabulous classic English dish which I have slightly adapted from a version I found on an English website and which I'm posting for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. It makes an ideal light lunch or supper snack.
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 14 ounces chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, low-fat is fine
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick pan with the olive oil, until the butter begins to foam, add the sliced shallots and gently saute for 2-3 minutes, or until they have softened.
- Add the halved mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes, over a moderate heat, or until they have softened and are golden.
- Add the paprika, stir well, then add the Worcestershire sauce and the mustard, stir well and cook for a further minute, before adding the sour cream.
- Lower the heat, and gently heat the cream through for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile rub the slices of bread with the garlic, cut side down and place place the slices of bread onto a baking sheet, then under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes, on each side, or until toasted and golden.
- Remove the toasted slices from the grill, place them onto a serving plate and spoon the mushroom mix over the top.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
- Chef's Note: Chestnut mushrooms are a closed cup mushroom with a wonderfully rich flavour. If you cannot find these, use flat field mushrooms which are always great, but may need a little more cooking.
This made a yummy treat for lunch today! I quartered the recipe and truly enjoyed! Thanks! Made for Zaar Stars game.
Loved it! I cut up a baguette of french bread, and served the mushrooms on top of that...it is fabulous. I can see making this for myself for dinner once DS goes off to college! Thank you so much for posting this yummy morsel! Made for Gimme 5 Tag game.
This is just delicious..the taste of the sour cream against the lovely grainy mustard,and the gentle smoke of the paprika was quite wonderful. This is perfect for snack or light meal purposes and would make a great starter. I absolutely LOVED this,and can see myself using this often as a lunchtime treat. Thanks BlueMoon for yet another superb recipe!